Information on Classroom Booking
Note: In line with the current precautionary measures of the University in 2022-23, all bookings of communal classrooms shall be confirmed on the condition that the venue usage MUST not exceed 85% of the venue seating capacity. Users MUST also observe below guidelines or any other latest guidelines and regulations issued by the HKSAR Government and the University regarding other precautionary measures.
• Guidelines for Precautionary Measures for Face-to-Face Meetings
• Guidelines for Precautionary Measures for Face-to-Face Examinations
• The Chinese University of Hong Kong Referencing Guidelines for Social and Non-academic Events during COVID-19
To book the communal classrooms for teaching and other activities, please note the following:
Office Responsible for Classroom Booking
|Registration and Examinations Section (RES)||* Mondays to Saturdays
(8:30 - 21:30)
|Classroom Management Office||# Sundays or Public Holidays|
# For energy conservation, bookings that fall on Sundays or Public Holidays should be confined to Yasumoto International Academic Park (YIA). Please submit bookings to Estates Management Office and pay the fees prescribed by the University, as appropriate. Environmental surcharge will be levied ($4,000 for first 3 hours and $1,000/hour thereafter) for usage of classrooms/lecture theatres on Sundays or Public Holidays in buildings with central air-conditioning other than YIA, wherever applicable.
Please refer to the time periods below for bookings until 18:15 from Mondays to Saturdays (as it is necessary to allow 15 minutes for breaks between classes/events). If your booking does not follow this pattern, RES cannot confirm your booking.
|Start time||End time|
* For the Lecture Theatre in Shaw College (SWC LT), if your booking is after 17:30 on weekdays and on Saturdays, please contact the classroom management office of Shaw College (Tel: 3943 7361).
Web Room Booking System (WRB)
- Authorized users of departments / administrative offices of the University are granted access rights to submit booking requests via WRB under RES homepage. All bookings submitted under WRB are subject to confirmation by RES. Authorized users can retrieve and print confirmation slips generated by the system if the booking requests are successful.
- All bookings MUST be submitted via WRB; if access rights have been granted to your department / office, except bookings for the five lecture theatres reserved for special purposes (CYT LT1A & LT1B, LSK LT6 and YIA LT1 & LT2).
- Booking of lecture theatres does NOT include the foyer/any common areas outside the venues. Users should contact the respective Classroom Management Office for booking of foyer/common areas outside lecture theatres. Please observe the notice from Estates Management Office (EMO) and contact EMO directly for charges of and other details on any re-arrangements of the partitions installed inside these classrooms of Cheng Yu Tung Building (CYT203, 209A-B, LT1A&B).
Guidelines and rules in usage and booking of classrooms/lecture theatres
- All classrooms and lecture theatres of the University are designed and good for holding general lectures, seminars, and other similar activities. Please state clearly the purpose of your booking and the kind of activities that will be conducted. If the booking is intended for seminar, meeting or workshop, please also state the topic/purpose of these activities. Departments, administrative offices or student societies (users) should NOT hold unrelated activities in classrooms and lecture theatres. The authorized users will be held responsible for the activities conducted and the classroom must NOT be used for activities other than the purpose(s) specified in the booking request. Any misbehaviour or improper activities will be reported to the authorities concerned and are subject to disciplinary actions.
- No private/commercial activities should be held in the classrooms/lecture theatres. If the activities are co-organized with external parties/organizations, the purpose, the name of the external organization, whether the organization is profit or non-profit making and the mode of operation MUST be provided in the booking request. RES reserves the right NOT to entertain any bookings that are co-organized in nature.
- If the event that held involves a lot of participants that require campus transportation from one area to another, please inform Transport Office of the University and the organizer should arrange own campus transportation for their participants.
- For singing contest or other similar activities, users are only allowed to book the three specially-equipped lecture theatres for these activities, i.e. UCC C1, UCC C2 or LSB LT6, except with special reasons.
- Users can submit bookings up to 6 months in advance, e.g. in August 2022, users can submit bookings for January 2023. If there is a genuine need to make classroom reservation beyond 6 months, e.g. to hold an important conference, please contact RES for appropriate arrangements.
- Booking should be submitted at least 24 hours in advance prior to the use of classroom/lecture theatre, so as to allow time for RES to process your booking and the relevant Classroom Management Office can be well informed of your booking. For any urgent booking within a working day, users MUST contact RES to make classroom booking in person.
- Departments / administrative offices need to pay the venue booking fees according to the charging scale of the University Teaching Facilities (available at Finance Office’s website and at RES SharePoint) based on the information of funding source provided and the information mentioned in point 2 above, as appropriate. Please make sure the relevant information is input correctly in the booking request, so that respective classroom management offices and Finance Office can follow up accordingly.
- To optimize the usage of classrooms, users MUST cancel bookings immediately (for bookings submitted by users) under WRB or submit the cancellation form (for hardcopy bookings submitted to RES) so that the classrooms can be released to other potential users.
For non-WRB users, please contact RES (3943 8966) to cancel the bookings or submit the cancellation form.
For bookings that involve payment of venue booking fees, users MUST cancel the bookings at least 2 weeks ahead of the event date. Otherwise, users have to pay the venue booking fees in accordance with the payment invoice issued by concerned offices.
Classroom management offices will monitor the usage of classrooms/lecture theatres according to the booking records. RES will issue warning letters and/or suspend the booking right of the users who are found to have made excessive bookings but fail to cancel the unused bookings.
- The University reserves the right to make other arrangements or cancellation of confirmed booking when special circumstances arise, e.g. urgent physical impairment which may cause danger to users, special needs of conference, etc.
- Users MUST observe and abide by the regulations stated in the Booking Confirmation Slip for using the classrooms / lecture theatres.
- RES reserves the right to make changes to the above rules and guidelines.
- Users need to contact Audio Visual Services Unit (AVSU) if they have queries and problems in the use of AV equipment installed inside the classrooms and lecture theatres.
- Users who need to have the access codes for the AV cabinets should contact respective Classroom Management Office during office hours.
28 July 2022